Mbabane, Swaziland | Global health organization
- Industry: Non-Profit / Social Enterprise
- Position Type: Full-Time
- Functions: Biotech/R&D/Science Project Management
- Experience: 5-7 years
CHAI’s Drug Access Team (DAT) works to address supply-side barriers to access and to foster a healthy marketplace to ensure the sustainable supply of essential medicines at lower prices. At the country-level, CHAI helps governments understand the market, access lower drug prices, and facilitate the roll-out of new and improved products. Additionally, country teams work closely with governments to scale up and strengthen care and treatment programs. CHAI is seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding credentials, analytical ability, management capabilities, and communication skills to serve as the Program Manager for CHAI Swaziland’s Drug Access Team.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not be limited to, the following:
- Develop and oversee the strategic direction and implementation of the Access Program, ensuring consistent availability of health commodities for life-saving care and treatment programs in Swaziland;
- Manage a team of analysts and specialists to provide in-depth and high-quality technical assistance to Ministry of Health (MoH) stakeholders, such as the Swaziland National AIDS
Program (SNAP) and National TB Control Program (NTCP). Key areas will include:
- Planning for the national roll-out of new HIV and TB care and treatment guidelines, regimens, formulations and diagnostics
- Providing implementation and capacity building support for effective and efficient tendering processes, and robust forecasting and supply planning processes to ensure consistent availability of high quality, cost-effective medicine and diagnostics
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of the priorities, challenges and gaps associated with procurement, distribution and consumption of health commodities in Swaziland
- Proactively identify challenges that impede implementation of key activities, and develop comprehensive and sustainable solutions that resolve bottlenecks;
- Develop new relationships and strengthen existing ones with MOH stakeholders and partners;
- Provide strategic insight at technical working groups (TWGs) and other high level meetings as a senior level representative of CHAI;
- Advise CHAI country leadership on implementation of programs, including opportunities developing new work streams;
- Liaise with Global Access Program to share key country insights, and to keep abreast of newly available products and pricing, and potential supply challenges in the marketplace;
- Build program by continually developing capacity and skills of staff, identifying human resources needs and leading recruitment of new team members;
- Manage the operations and finances of the program to meet deliverables within the appropriate timeframes.
- Other responsibilities as needed by supervisor
- 5+ years of experience in a demanding results driven environment, including at least 2 years in a management role, leading a division, large program, or business unit
- Experience in at least one of the following areas: public health, pharmaceutical or medical device supply chain, business administration; Bachelor’s degree minimum
- Exceptional diplomacy and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging, multi-cultural environment
- Ability to mentor and lead teams in a fast-paced and changing environment;
- Strong communication, strategic and analytical skills, along with a high level of proficiency in relevant computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Professional experience working with government authorities in developing countries, with experience in sub-Saharan Africa;
Previous experience in strategy or operations consulting;
Previous experience or education in business administration or public health.