PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Provide overall leadership, oversight and management support for all aspects of financial management in the SWALES program office. This position is seen as a strategic partner for the SWALES, with a focus on ensuring accountability, stewardship, coordinating planning and budgeting processes, providing accurate financial data and developing financial strategy that best serves SWALES strategic and program objectives. Responsible for the finance and support services staff capacity strengthening, the development and implementation of good internal controls, compliance at all levels, risk management and utilization and safe guarding of assets according to WV approved policies and procedures.
Provide overall leadership to the Finance and Accounting, SCM, ICT and Administration teams at program and Project office levels.
Leadership, Capacity Development and Strategic Partnering:
- Provide strong and positive leadership to the SWALES finance and SS department ensuring competent and motivated staff are hired and retained, providing efficient delivery of services.
- Coordinate professional and personal development of finance staff through adequate orientation, on-the-job coaching, identification of learning, training needs and opportunities (e.g. in accounting, SunSystems, grant management, risk management, leadership, etc.); and succession planning.
- Model Christ-centered servant leadership and support spiritual development of his/her team.
- Actively participate in the SWALES Senior Management/ Leadership team meetings.
- Attend and actively participate in strategic regional meetings.
- Facilitate Program Directors, Board and other non-finance staff in understanding and interpretation of financial statements.
- Ensure partnership finance policies and procedures are understood by Senior Management, Operations/Technical staff, Communities, Local Partners and Board, as appropriate.
- Develop strong networks internally (other NOs, SOs and partnership entities) and externally (other NGOs, banking entities, communities, etc.) through effective communication, relationships and twin citizenship.
- Promote shared resource networks within SWALES, the Region and the partnership.
- Adhere to WVI key policy documents – mission, core values, and covenant of partnership.
- Ensure adequate cost efficiency and effectiveness measures are in place and are being followed through:
- Providing cost analysis, promoting benchmarks and making recommendations for determining effective resource utilization at all levels.
- Contributing to the development of appropriate policies and procedures for procurement of goods and services.
- Exploring most economic ways of addressing the program’s needs without compromising the ministry’s quality.
- Program spending is well monitored to avoid underspending and overspending.
Financial Planning and Budgeting:
- In collaboration with other SWALES Leads and Program Directors, advise the SWALES Director on strategic resource acquisition and allocation in line with Partnership recommendations approved by the Regional Leader.
- Coordinate the planning and budgeting process and provide technical support, to ensure global and regional guidelines are met.
- Review alignment of budgets between SWALES Program office, projects, grants, myPBAS and Support Offices.
- Control of Program Office budget, cash flow and project funding, by providing timely and relevant information to budget managers, in collaboration with the Program Directors.
- Contribute to the development of SWALES strategic direction and priorities.
Fiscal Accounting, Compliance, Monitoring and Reporting:
- Ensure standard financial systems are established and maintained in order to provide appropriate levels of security and controls over the organization’s resources and operations.
- Coordinate the submission of timely, accurate and complete relevant reporting to the Partnership and to internal users.
- Define and implement efficient and effective internal control systems.
- Adhere to partnership policies, procedures and guidelines as stipulated in the WVI Financial Manual and other documents, including – but not limited to: grant compliance, year-end closing, carryforward, accounting and reporting.
- Coordinate the timely and accurate submission of financial reports in the FFR (Field Financial Reporting) database.
- Review the reconciliation of MyPBAS to FFR monthly with action plan for addressing outstanding items.
- Ensure Program office Finance staff visit Programs/Projects to monitor accountability issues, follow up on implementation of audit findings and provide support as needed.
Financial Risk Management and Controls:
- Manage appropriate financial systems and controls and ensure they are in place to avoid significant finance audit risk ratings, both at the SWALES Program and project levels.
- Coordinate management responses to finance audits performed to the Program office and projects; ensure they are sent on time to the Audit Department; and that finance and SS related audit recommendations are implemented timely at all levels.
- Coordinate adequate preparation for GC and external audits.
- Perform site project financial checks. Take appropriate action to address audit findings and recommendations.
- Manage Financial Risk.
- Implement anti-corruption and fraud strategies.
Supply Chain Management:
- Coordinate and ensure an optimal interface between the supply chain and business units for efficient customer service delivery.
- Improve IT infrastructure and provide quality service.
- Ensure improved office/programs connectivity.
- Facilitate and ensure preparation of and adherence to computer usage policies.
- Ensure office disaster preparedness and policies updated to include new technologies, trends and threats.
- Ensure that WV staff and assets are secured, safe and well maintained; oversee logistics coordination.
- Ensure that WV provides quality hospitality services to staff and visitors.
- Transportation/Logistics. Responsible for vehicle procurement, management and maintenance.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in finance position with medium business/medium NGO/government agency.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in finance management position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration, or a related field.
- MBA in Finance, MSC in Finance/Accounting/Auditing preferred.
- ACCA, CIMA, CPA or equivalent preferred.
- Solid knowledge of accounting principles financial systems budget/cash flow monitoring and internal accounting controls.
- Ability to solve complex problems and to exercise independent judgment.
- Must be able to lead and manage a team.
- Good working knowledge of computerized accounting systems preferable Sun Systems & Vision. Must be computer literate in Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of government grant regulations and financial reporting requirements preferred.
- Knowledge of local accounting system preferred.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Good oral/written and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work on a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff.
- Ability to travel within country regional and internationally.
- List additional work experience preferred for this position.
- Experience of treasury activities establishment and monitoring of budgets and an understanding of data processing concepts and systems is preferred.
- Experience with humanitarian aid in-country is a plus.
OTHER POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Basic Conversation: English.
Business Communications: English.
Fully Fluent: English.
Must be adaptable and able to deal with an atmosphere of change and uncertainty.
Must be willing and able to travel to SWALES programs.