IHM is a regional development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach. Our professional staff includes experts in health informatics, monitoring and evaluation, operations research and health management information systems. IHM operates from 3 country offices in Lesotho, Swaziland and Zambia with its headquarters based in Mbabane, Swaziland. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve, thereby improving lives for many people.
The Coordinating Assembly for Non-Governmental Organizations (CANGO) through support from the Global Fund grant – New
Funding Model (NFM) intends to improve the country’s key populations’ reporting systems. Key Populations to be included in the grant include Sex Workers (SW), Men having Sex with Men (MSM), and Transport Operators (T/O). The Global Fund grant is a three year grant which is currently at its inception stage. IHM has been subcontracted by CANGO to develop the KP/PIMS-Key Population Program Information Management System. We seek a qualified candidate for the position below:
Database Administrator- KP/PIMS (Key Population Program Information Management – (1 Vacancy)
Location: Mbabane, Swaziland
Reporting to: Technical Director/Project Coordinator
Salary: Depends on experience and qualifications
Assignment length: One Year (with renewal dependent on availability of funding)
Position Summary: To provide support to operations by supervising staff; planning, organizing, and implementing administrative systems and be responsible for the following:
Key Populations Database System Requirements:
- Identifies KP-PMIS database requirements by interviewing system users, program staff, and /or pool of experts;
- Evaluating existing database systems to inform the design of proposed KP-PMIS systems.
- With a help of CANGO, NERCHA,SNAP, and MoH-SID, review all existing data collection tools and indicators to inform the content of data dictionary
- Develop data dictionary for Key Populations with all tables/entities and data elements are well defined in the data
Database design and development:
- Conduct conceptual, logical and physical design of the KP-PMIS database
- Define and implement database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and
recovery specifications. Database system installation
- Installs new or updated database systems by proposing specifications and flowcharts;
- Coordinates installation requirements;
- Recommends optimum access techniques;
- Maintains database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters;
- Conduct database system performance optimization through appropriate partitioning and indexing
- Implements new releases/updates;
- Completing maintenance requirements;
- Evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products and advise appropriately to ensure optimum
Technical support and training:
- Prepares users by conducting training;
- Providing information; resolving technical problems.
- Provides information by answering questions and running queries.
Developing and enforcing standards
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing database standards (i.e. database back up SOPs)Procedures and scripting
- Develop and implements routine procedures (i.e. procedures for retrieving data for standard reporting/BI, data sets, ETL procedures)
- Develop SQL scripts as necessary
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the design, development and maintenance of Relational Database Management Systems.
- Significant relevant experience with MS SQL server administration
- Working knowledge of data migration
- Working experience in developing database systems in NGO setting, Health Setting
- Demonstrated experience in working within a multi-disciplinary team in a fast paced, technically challenging environment.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work flexibly, collaboratively and independently.
- Good customer service and interpersonal skills
- Good command of oral and written English and siSwati
- Experience in a health care setting preferred
- Demonstrated organization, planning, time-management, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in a team environment.
- Database Performance Tuning,
- Database Security,
- Promoting Process Improvement ,
- Database Management,
- Data Maintenance,
- Information Security Policies
- Knowledge of MS SQL server/MySQL server.
- Excellent communicator and problem solver.
- Ability to work flexibly, collaboratively and independently in a complex and diverse organization is required.
- Prior experience in a national/regional health environment is preferred, but not required.
To be considered for these positions, applicants should submit an Application Letter with CV to:
Attention: Human Resources
IHM-Swaziland, PO Box 6290, Mbabane H100
Or fax to 268-2404-0881 with subject line Attention: HR (vacancy title here)
Application Deadline: 7 October 2016
IHM is an equal opportunity employer. We offer competitive remuneration packages commensurate with salary history plus outstanding benefits package. Decisions on employment will be based on an individual’s qualifications as related to the position for which s/he is being considered. IHM reserves the right not to appoint and only suitable candidates will be contacted. If you have not received any feedback within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.